Tuesday, September 20, 2005

You know you're obsessive when...

I've come to the decision that I'm an obsessive knitter. I realized this a few weekends ago when I was shopping at Express and instead of just looking at a sweater and trying it on to see if it fit, I started making plans for it. Not wearing out plans, mind you, but rather I was scheming. I got ridiculously excited when I saw that the content was something like 40% merino, 20% mohair, 20% microfiber, 10% nylon, and 10% cashmere for $49. I thought, fantastic! I probably can't get enough yarn for a long sleeved sweater for that price in what looks to be about DK or sport weight, and the seams look good enough to recycle. Oh yeah, and it's pretty cute too! I could just wear it, and then when I'm sick of it, use the yarn for something else. Just imagine, a wearable stash!

Then it got to be pretty bad last week when I realized that I was staring at some poor woman's chest during a lunch meeting. I hope it wasn't too creepy, but I was fixated on the cable pattern on her sweater and wondering if that would be a better idea for Spirit of Blaze. I guess inspiration comes from all kinds of places.

Then again last night, DF and I were at Wine Expo picking out low-alcohol ciders for me and big cabernets for him and I saw a woman come in wearing an "I can make that!" sweater. I started planning in my head: basic V-neck set-in sleeve pattern, pick up stitches around the collar for a cross-over neck and add a few cables here and there using silk/mohair on size 6 needles. That even looks like Drab Kid Silk Haze...

Yes, I need therapy.