Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Vegas style

So I have a doppelganger. My brother Bryan married a Jen over the weekend in Las Vegas. People are still creeped out by that, but I don't really understand why. I think it's kind of funny that my brother married a Jen and I plan to marry a Ryan. There's a bit of discussion on what to call Mrs. Jen and what to call me. My dad is pushing for my childhood nickname to carry over to differentiate between us: Jumbo Jen vs. just Jen. I don't think I understood the oxymoron when my dad first coined that nickname as a child. BTW, I wanted to use the word "Ironic" here to describe my nickname, but ever since that Alanis Morisette song, I've never been able to remember the correct use of the word again...

Back to my point, the wedding was a wedding IN Vegas, not a Vegas Wedding. The wedding planners there are trying hard to make a distinction between the two. For my brother's part, he had elements of both. No Little White Chapel, but definitely Elvis and the magic disappearing, reappearing box to make a grand entrance.

The highlight of the weekend went something like this:
SIL: So I had to get special shoes to go with this dress.
Me: Why's that?
SIL: Well, the dress is a bit too big for my height, so I had to get really tall shoes. They're 7 inches.
Me: 7 inches? Should I refrain from touching you lest you topple over?
SIL: Actually they're surprisingly comfortable.
Me: I have to see these. Show me your shoes!
SIL: Well, a lot of brides are doing it these days... *flashing 4 inch clear acrylic platform shoes with clear acrylic heels and clear plastic straps*
DF: THOSE ARE STRIPPER SHOES!!!
Mom: And how would you know that?

As for knitting content, I don't really have anything to show since my camera is being held hostage by my parents until Christmas. DRATS! So there will be many FO pictures after Christmas, and I'll just have to do the summary without the pictures until then. At least that way, you'll be able to see the finished product on the recipient instead of on the carpet. For now, I have the chest stripe section almost done on the back of Light Petrol. Miles and miles of garter/stockinette columns is getting a bit tedious...

Edited to add: I also joined the Who Wouldn't Love a Handknitted Gift KAL. I think I'll do the Blue Blog classic, Tuesday is Knitalong Day update. Hoping to get my butt in gear as it appears I still have 6 gifts out of 9 left! 39 days and counting...