Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Blogging grand rounds

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I had a chance to get out and see what everyone's been doing lately and try and be a better blogger.

Caitlyn just finished up a fair-isle hat and was daring enough to show the floats. Suffice it to say that she wrestled with those floats a bit before she was happy with the outcome (like most of us would... except if you're Eunny and have such ridiculous fair isle skills that you can design a beautiful pattern for which the rest of us have to join the knitting olympics to tackle... just ask IronSteph). It's weird how the knitting world is so small. I happened to get my VK winter 2005/6 issue yesterday, and while I probably wouldn't make a single pattern in this issue, they happened to have an entire article on Armenian Knitting by Meg Swansen. MS described a fair isle technique that ends up looking like intarsia, where you float ENTIRE BODIES of solid colored sweaters before getting to the little intarsia panel at the neck. Interesting enough to at least check out next time you're browsing the knitting magazine racks.

I did finally get my Sockapaloooza match after anxiously checking my email every hour last week. My sock pal wants solid color socks, but I sort of thought that this was so incredibly subtly variegated, that it might as well be solid. What do y'all think?

Also, there's yet another fun You Knit Too Much contest going on over there to test your fiber and pattern knowledge. I think the signups might be closed, but definitely play along!

And finally, I was tagged by Cristina for a meme way too long ago, so at long last...

Four Jobs you have had in your life:
1. Lab teaching assistant
2. Princeton Review instructor
3. Chemist
4. Professional nag

Four movies you could watch over and over:
1. The Princess Bride
2. Sixteen Candles
3. Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone
4. When Harry met Sally

Four places you have lived:
1. Brooklyn, NY
2. Houston, TX
3. Boston, MA
4. Princeton, NJ

Four TV shows you love(d) to watch:
1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
2. Friends
3. ER
4. That's Incredible!

Four places you have been on vacation:
1. Disney (world/land)
2. Maui
3. Caribbean cruise
4. London

Four places you want to visit:
1. New Zealand (Honeymoon, baby!)
2. Australia
3. China
4. Japan

Four websites you visit daily:
1. google
2. amazon
3. bloglines
4. web mail

Four of your favorite foods:
1. Does Chinese count?
2. sushi
3. soup (ANY kind)
4. NY style pizza - lots of sauce, minimal cheese, one or two toppings max

Four things currently on the floor in your car:
1. Windshield wipers
2. umbrella
3. climbing gear
4. rice (it's not my fault the bag broke 9 months ago...)

Four bloggers you are tagging:
I don't really believe in tagging, but please join the fun if you haven't done this one already!

Next up: Another FO!