Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Anybody want a toy sausage?

Hmm, maybe I should rethink the title of this post...

So if you've been keeping track of the WIPs on my sidebar, you'll have noticed that the twinset hasn't been progressing AT ALL. I mentioned WAY BACK that I had picked up some yarn with my future MIL. I swatched and even though it took me over an hour to swatch 20 sts of stockinette I convinced myself that the cuddliness of the resulting fabric was reason enough to press on.

I didn't cast on for this project until March 14 out of sheer dread of working with eyelash yarn. Over the past 2 weeks, I managed an incredible progress of 5 inches (two sides though...) on 46 sts of Pitter Patter yarn. Overwhelming isn't it? Need I mention again that this is for baby sweaters and is supposed to be a quick knit?

Feelings of guilt washed over me as I promised DF that I'd knit with this yarn and not go out and buy yet more yarn. And the fact that my future MIL purchased it for me doesn't help. So I pressed on even though I kept hoping that it would spontaneously burst into flames. But somewhere over the weekend, I thought, Why the heck am I doing this? If I wanted to give them something cute, I could just as easily go out and buy the darned things and probably spend less. The point to making something by hand is to pour your energy and good mojo into something and have that reflected in the finished product. All I was pouring into this gift was pure rage and despair - not something I'd want to pass on to innocent infants.

So out with plan B and back to plan A. I purchased a bag of GGH Goa at the Yarn Lady bag sale a couple of months ago intending to make baby sweaters out of it (machine washable, amen!). The chunky gauge didn't seem to fit with any of the baby patterns I have, but eff it... I'm winging it. So I cast on for baby sweater #1 of the twinset take 2 on Monday night and here's a few hours progress: a finished back. Note how much that is in comparison to two week's worth of knitting on the eyelash yarn from hell.



So, what do I do with my 2 rectangles of discontinued baby sweaters? I was thinking that I could make them into stuffed toys of some sort, but then DF was quick to point out that it would be a bit strange to present these babies with stuffed sausage toys as that's about all you could turn rectangles into. I agree.

Also, in case anybody ever wondered about what happens to Baywatch alumns: they make music and film Spongebob Squarepants.