Friday, August 19, 2005

I'm not the only one...

I just breathed a sigh of relief. Apparently I'm not the only one who should be riding the short bus. When I told people of my backwards purling issues at SNB, they all looked at me like I was crazy. Like, who would have thought of doing it that way. Karen apparently just found out this week that she does the same. I think we need to found a Twisted Purlers therapy club to help out all of those people out there who purl clockwise and don't even know it...

Word of advice: Don't wind yarn without a swift while mad. It's just bad. Haphazardly pulling yarn out of the middle of a spaghetti pile in fits of rage is not productive. I sometimes wonder if I am the only one out there who can turn a perfectly innocuous looking, neatly stacked rounds of yarn (or a 60m rope, for that matter) into a tangled mess with two pulls. I think my similar rope mismanagement skills were what drove me to practically giving up sport climbing altogether. Now if only they made Rope Swifts for climbers...

In other updates, I finished knittng my Tivoli last night! YAY! I'm pretty happy with the results, though it doesn't have a negative ease at all. I'm gauge retarded. I swear... I swatched, I counted out 4 inches worth of stitches, I did my calculations. In the end, I checked my gauge on the finished product, and while it's still the same, the finished measurements are nowhere near what my calculations predict. What's going on here? Oh well, I think it still fits fine... as long as there's no cotton expansion. So now I just have to block it, then I'll do the official post-mortem.

I also started a Charlotte's Web last night using some Knitpicks Sock Memories. I wasn't confident in my abilities to actually get a project of this size completed in time for Christmas (or ever), so I decided to use a much cheaper yarn than Koigu KPPPM. It's still merino in the same weight, but the effect is completely different. I think it's downright UGLY in comparison to so many other people's. Perhaps a bad yarn substitution. I swear though, I'm going to push through with it. My great-grandmother will be pleased to just get something that I thought made with my own hands. And who knows, maybe 95 year old color sensibilities are different from a 30 year old's.

Alright... because I have no shame, here it is: