Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Me too, me too!

Okay, so I was incredibly dorky and thinking of tagging myself for this meme ever since seeing it on Carolyn's blog. Thankfully, I didn't have to feel quite so dorky since it's managed to make its way to me. Thanks Chrissy!

1. What is your all-time favorite yarn to knit with?

Gee, I don't think I actually have one. I've only knit with a few things and I can't exactly say that I loved one over another. The only thing that I know for certain is that I have become something of a yarn snob and I don't really like knitting with cheap acrylic. Sometimes it's a necessity, but I don't really like the feel of shag carpet running through my fingers. The Malabrigo DF is using right now, however, feels like heaven and is about the only thing I've actually purchased that I would prefer to knit with over other things I have used. I can't say however, that I actually like the end product any more than other garments I've made, but I certainly like the process a whole lot more.

2. Favorite needles?

Again, I haven't used a whole lot of different ones, but I definitely prefer circulars over straights. I've all but abandoned my straight needles (all Susan Bates). I have a tendency to reach for my Denise Needles more than anything else, but I think this has more to do with the fact that I don't own other circulars in sizes except for 5 and 8 with hat length cords (not very useful for sweaters) and 7, 10, and 10.5 in man sized sweater lengths (also not very useful if I'm making a sweater in the round for myself). I should start seaming sweaters, huh?

3. What's the worst thing you ever knit?

Hmm, does it have to be something I've actually finished? I'd say the abandoned Needful Yarns poncho. As I had mentioned in my UFO report, it got ripped out and is now languishing in another format. I didn't make gauge, and the gauge I had for the majority of the project didn't match my cast on or bind off rows at all, so getting the pieces to lay flat in nice rectangles for seaming was NOT going to happen. And worst of all, the yarn I was using. I'm sure that given the right pattern, it would have been fine, but the novelty yarn thing doesn't appeal to me much.

4. Favorite knitting pattern? The most fun to knit?

Believe it or not, I'd say my favorite pattern was actually Hopeful. Despite the angst that went into that project, it's a top that seems to flatter me. It was however, not fun. The fun award goes to Lelah. The lace was great for my first project and it went fast. Fashion, not function is what Christine says, and I totally agree. I made it in a subtly glittery yarn, so it's not the best next to skin wear, hence, I don't wear it much. Only for going out!

5. Most valuable knitting technique?

Hmm, I'm loving kitchener stitch and 3 needle bind off right now since I seem to be joining pieces vertically a lot right now. Otherwise, I'd just say knitting in the round in general since that's what I seem to do the most of lately.

6. Best knit book or magazine?

I just stocked up on a few Rebecca mags and IK. I subscribe to VK, but I was sorely disappointed with the most recent issue. As for books, I only own Knitting without Tears, so I guess that one's my favorite! I'm coveting a ridiculous number of reference books right now though like Knitting on the Edge, BW Treasury of Knitting Patterns all volumes and Knitting from the Top, Nancy Wiseman's Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques, and the Knitter's Companion.

7. Favorite knitalong?

Hmm, my only knitalong has been the Hopeful KAL. I guess, like the book, that's my default favorite.

8. Favorite knitblogs?

Well, I did a shout out to all of the blogs that I read regularly not so long ago. Of that long list however, I always check Kim, Keohinani, Chris, Chrissy, Karen and Jillian immediately when I see them highlighted on bloglines and because in that weird I've never met you (except Jillian) sort of way, I definitely consider them to be at least blog friends.

9. Favorite knitwear designer?

I'm not sure that I want to commit to this one, but I like the classic look of Debbie Bliss and the fun stuff in the Rebecca magazines (not a specific designer, I know) though the patterns are horrible to interpret. Also, I like Jenna Adorno since she appears to hate seaming as much as I do and is built similarly to me.

10. The knit item you wear the most?

Actually, don't wear my knitting that much, but I carry around my Buttonhole Bag an awful lot!

Whew! I could have been a bit less wordy, right? I'm not going to tag anyone with this since this one has been going like wildfire and pretty much everyone's blogs I read seems to have already been tagged. But if you're reading this and you haven't been tagged yet, please play along!